Sunday, October 9, 2011

Don't Judge A Book...

I am sure you have heard the statement, "Don't judge a book by it's cover." There is a lot of truth in this statement. I can't tell you how many times I have done this. It was just recently that I became aware that I had done it again. I have a neighbor that I occasionally see when I am going to work or just outside in the yard but never really take the time to talk to. I have waved a few times and said "Hi" but, never got a wave or a "Hi" back from her. I thought to myself how rude and she must be a snob! I stopped saying hi and waving even though I knew it was wrong and not the Christian thing to do. A couple of weekends ago we had a garage sale and she and her daughter came over to look around. I over heard them talking to each other in Spanish, then as they were paying for their items the daughter told me that her mom doesn't speak very good English and that is why she doesn't really speak when she sees us. She is not able to carry on a conversation in English,therefore she chooses not to speak. Ah ha!? I felt about an inch tall. All this time I have been ignoring her instead of accepting her; all because I judged her. I told her daughter to tell her not to worry about it. After visiting with them I learned that they are extremely nice and that she is trying to learn English and is embarrassed that she can't speak it very well.

After I was brought to my knees because of what I had done, I realized that is not what Jesus would have done. He would not have ignored her or judged her; He would have embraced her and continued to say hello and wave no matter her reaction. So, there really is some truth to the statement, "Never judge a book by it's cover."

If you go to The bible and look in the book of Matthew, chapter 7:1-3, you will find the verses below:


Chapter 7

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured unto you. 3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

The verses above give you something to think about the next time you go to "judge a book by it's cover"
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


No comments:

Post a Comment