Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ultimate Brainwashing

MONEY, Sex, MODELS, Clothes, CARS, Violence and everything in between!!  These are topics that we see everyday, everywhere.  I know that newspapers, radio and advertisements make up the media, but I want to talk about what I think is the Ultimate Brainwash: TELEVISION! (I am going to throw in this disclaimer now; No I do not think TV is all bad and Yes I do watch TV.  I am not here to criticize anyone, just share my own thoughts on how TV has gone from classy to trashy.)

Gone are the days of the classics like Leave it to Beaver, The Walton's, The Cosby Show and more.  Yes, you can still probably find reruns of some of these shows on Nick at Nite, but you will no longer find wholesome shows on prime time television.  Most shows now are either reality shows or sitcoms that are focused on sex, violence and money.  In the past, shows like these would not come on until after 8, but now they are all the time!  The commercials are just down right awful today! I usually end up muting the commercials or getting up to do something else, because I just can't believe what they use to try and sale their products!

This is what I get from the commercials and some of the television shows: SEX SALES and MONEY TALKS!  Wow!  How sad that world has to use sex to sale a product.  Some of these products are simple, like M&Ms or Shampoo!  I mean really, its candy! Candy can sell itself without having to add sex appeal to it and I don't think using a certain shampoo is going to make you become sexy and have people flock to you.  Some of the TV shows have gotten pretty gross and tacky.  Lets, take Greys Anatomy for example; when it first aired it was focused on the hospital and the drama was about the hospital and the doctors trying to save lives, but now it seems it is all about sex,cheating and lying with a little bit of life saving thrown in.  I used to watch Greys Anatomy, but when it started becoming pointless and basically a big sex show, I stopped watching it.(Once again, this is just my opinion.  You are not evil for watching Greys if you do.) There are so many more shows out there that have spiraled into trash and it is so hard to find something worth watching today!

My family doesn't watch a whole lot of TV, we try to limit it as best we can.  When we do watch it, we usually watch game shows or talent shows.  We also watch alot of Nick Jr. and PBS, because we have a 3 year old and he loves Thomas, Elmo, and Dora.  Even some of the kid's shows are just down right ugly and rude!  I think today's TV is the ultimate brainwash, because it portrays all the wrong images and ideas.  It is sad that the media thinks that the only way to sell a product or provide entertainment is through sex, money and violence.

Philippians 4:8 says: "Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious-the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.  Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies."  (The Message Bible)

God wants us to fill our minds with pure and pleasant thoughts and meditate on those thoughts instead of the worldly ones that are thrown at us everyday.  Let God and his Word become your ultimate brainwash instead of the media of this world!!

Love in Christ,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment