Monday, February 28, 2011

Hello, I am talking to YOU!

My 3 yr old has learned at an early age how to tune me out.  I can tell him 3 plus times to go pick up his toys and he will sit there and ignore me.  I know he does not have hearing loss, because in the same sentence I can mention anything that has to do with Thomas the Train or going to play outside and all of the sudden I have his total, undivided attention.  Sometimes, it gets very frusturating when trying to get him to do something and I know he is ignoring me.

I am pretty sure this is the way God feels when He is talking to us and we are tuning Him out. God longs to speak to us and He longs to show us His ways.  When we ignore Him, we miss out on so many blessings.  Thankfully God does not give up on us and continues to "tap" us on the shoulder in order to get our attention. Sometimes, drastic measures might need to be taken in order for us to listen, but sooner or later He will get your attention. God wants to give us numerous blessings, but if we tune Him out we miss out on those blessings.  So, the next time God is trying to get your attention, don't tune Him out, because you never know what blessings you might be missing out on.

This 'blurb' kind of goes with our blog topic from yesterday, "Take the Do Not Disturb Sign Off Your Heart!"  I just wanted to add to it because I have had personal experience in tuning God out and Him taking drastic measures to get me to PAY ATTENTION.  Here is the short version of my personal experience:  I was head over heels in love with this guy back in college.  There was NO WAY anyone or anything could stop me from marrying him.  He had already put a down payment on the ring and we knew we were going to get married.  Well, God had other plans for me and he kept "tapping" me on the shoulder and giving me all kinds of signs for why I should not marry this guy.  I kept blowing Him off, tuning Him out!  I was in denial, I wanted to get married and I wanted it to be this guy!  Well, God had enough of "tapping" me on the shoulder, so He gave me a wake up call that would totally remove me from the situation.  I was diagnosed with PTSD(post traumatic stress disorder) and completely shut down and withdrew.  My family completely took care of me and it was a long road, but I am so happy that God allowed this drastic circumstance in my life.  It saved me from a marriage that I know now would have been a complete disaster and would have ended in divorce.  It took a drastic act to get me to listen, but when I did everything became so much more clear.  At the time, I was not sure why or how, but now I know and I thank God everyday for allowing it to happen.  I am now happily married to the man I know I am supposed to be with and we have a precious son.  I learned very quickly to listen when God speaks.  God wanted me to have this blessing and what I deserve even though I don't deserve it.

So, the next time you hear God speaking or feel Him "tapping" stop, listen and obey!!  He has blessings  waiting for you!  God WILL get YOUR attention one way or another!!!

Love in Christ,
Alicia

1 comment:

  1. :) So good. I love hearing the personal stories! :) Very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete