Thursday, January 12, 2012

Making Idols Out of Men

Ex 20:3-4 (NIV) "You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below."

Tim Tebow has become a household name over the past few weeks. If you do not know who he is, I will tell you, he is a football player for the Denver Broncos. He is leading his team in the playoffs, but he is most known for his expression of faith during the games. Twitter and the Internet are blowing up with his picture pose(him kneeling down and praying in the end zone). The fans can not get enough of Tim Tebow. I think his showing of faith is great. I think he is being a witness to all by showing his love and faith for the Lord, but I think some of the fans are taking it too far. So, this leads me to the question, how far is to far? I am all for role models, Rather it be a football player or a teacher. I think it is great to have someone to look up to. When you start idolizing someone or something, that is when God gets upset. God wants your undivided attention, he does not want anyone or anything to over shadow Him. When you consume something or someone to where you put them on a "pedestal", that is idolizing. You are so infatuated by it or them that you can't go with out it and you see them as someone that can do anything. That is when the role model becomes an idol. Tim Tebow is doing what he is passionate about, his faith and football. He is not out there to be admired or idolized, but in the darkness of the world he is becoming an idol. God does not want us to idolize anyone or anything. He is the one that is almighty and powerful and allows us to have talents and skills. God is the one that we need to look up to and run to in a time of need. It is one thing to have a role model but it's another to turn that role model into an idol! Like I said before, I think role models are a great thing and in this case, I think Tim Tebow is a great Christian to look up to.

Love In Christ,

Alicia




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment