Sunday, August 14, 2011

New Posture!

I am reading a book right now, called The Tangible Kingdom by Hugh Halter and Matt Smay.  This book is pretty heavy and answers alot of questions about ancient church and how to bring it back in today's culture, but it also has shown me some very interesting things about my own personal character and how I "advertise" myself as a christian.  A couple of posts ago I talked about how we are all walking billboards and that we should act and carry ourselves a certain way.  In the book I am reading the authors talk about this same thing.  Halter and Smay refer to it as "A New Posture."  They focus on the nonverbal communication part of the person.  I wanted to just highlight some points from the book that made me think about my "posture".

The authors describe posture as representing the attitude of the body: the nonverbal forms of communication that accompany what we say.  This description is so true.  Our body language speaks louder than our verbal speaking.

The second point the authors bring up is words communicate what we know; posture represents what we believe and feel.  Therefore, posture is the most important part of relationship and communication.  Posture shows true emotion and the intent of our heart.  I know that sometimes, we can be left with the question of what is wrong? Girls and women are so good at not expressing how they feel.  For some reason we feel the need to torture others, by giving the silent treatment or ignore others that have wronged us or we think have wronged us.  We never share how we truly feel and then when we are over it, we don't talk about it to the person that we feel has wronged us.  We just assume that they are over it too.  So, when they do not respond how we think they should we are asking ourselves, what is wrong? What did I do?  In truth it may have something to do with our nonverbals.  They are not going to want to approach you if you are putting off all kinds of nonverbal signs that basically says: GO AWAY! I DON"T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT OR TALK TO YOU!  This really goes for both males and females, but females are really good at working the body language! 

We are always advertising with our body language! We don't have to speak to even be noticed.  What we wear, how we act and what we say can change us and the people around us.  It doesn't take much to turn a person's head!  So, what statement will you make with your NEW POSTURE?

Love In Christ,

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment