Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Addiction

Addiction is broadly defined as persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful. (Merriam -Webster)

The three most common addictions that we hear about are drugs, alcohol and tobaccoThese three addictions are on the rise in society today and the age of use is getting younger and younger.  While these are very important substances to discuss, I want to focus on some things that we do not necessarily look to as being "addictive".  Here are just a few that I thought about: Facebook, sodas, chocolate, shopping, food, dieting, smartphones/cellphones, Internet and the list could keep going on and on.

It is interesting to think that simple things like shopping or facebook can be addicting.  I mean it's not like you are harming yourself by shopping or checking facebook.  While you might not be harming yourself by doing these things, you can certainly become consumed with it and it can become so mindless, that you can't even keep up with the other things around you.  It becomes a habit and you feel like you need it in your daily routine or you want be able to make it through the day. 

This all may sound silly, but think about it. How many times a day do you have to have that soda or check your facebook page?  I will admit that I do love to check my personal facebook page.  I don't update it everyday, but I do check it multiple times a day.  It made me think, what did I do before facebook?  I didn't really care what everyone else in the world was doing and I certainly didn't keep in contact with every single person on my "friends list".  I am sure I occupied my time with other things.  It wasn't the end of the world that I did not know "sally" was going to the mall to buy a new outfit for a blind date that she was going on that night.  While I think facebook is a great idea for keeping in touch with old friends and with your family, it can definitely consume you before you know it.  A friend of mine actually took a little hiatus from facebook.  She realized that it was interfering with her time with God and other important things in her life that were going on.  She is back on facebook now, but she is not on it constantly like she used to be.  Another "addiction" that I want to talk about is the cellphone!  Oh yeah, you know you can't live without that little life line.  I have literally caught myself going into panic mode when I could not find my phone.  How sad is that?  I also find myself going back for my phone when I am leaving to go somewhere, like to fill up the car or run a really quick errand.  Do I really need my phone for the short five minutes I am going to be gone, probably not, but it is habit to have it on my person at all times.  It is funny to me to go into a public bathroom and hear someone talking on their phone(I apologize if this is you), but how important is that conversation that you need to talk while you are peeing!   While these things are not harming us physically or mentally(well maybe a little mentally), they are harming us spiritually and socially.  I am not saying that you should get rid of your social networking devices or stop drinking that diet coke. I am just asking you to step back and take a look and see if you have or do something that you seem to not be able to live without or that has come so apart of your daily routine that you don't even think about it anymore, you just do it. 

An addict doesn't necessarily have to be addicted to drugs, alcohol or tobacco.  You can be an addict in other ways too.  The good news is that you can be saved from the addiction whether it be the harsh addiction of drugs and alcohol or the material things like, shopping and dieting.  God is your ultimate rescuer!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 says: "No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face.  All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it."  The Message (MSG)

1 Corinthians 8:9  says: "But take care lest this liberty of yours somehow become a stumbling block to the weak."  New American Standard Bible (NASB)

This blog was not intended to make light of the addiction of drugs, alcohol or tobacco. If you or someone you know is addicted to these things please seek help with an organization.  Here are a couple of websites that I found:
www.24houraddictionhelp.org   and  www.abovetheinfluence.com .  I know there are alot more organizations out there that are ready to help.  Remember, the ultimate rescuer is God!  HE can and will rescue YOU from anything, you just have to ask and believe!!

Love in Christ,

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment